Aug 12, 2010

Bathroom Envy




When you fall in love with a house built in the 1930s, you just know that small bathrooms and non-existent closet space come with the territory. So it is with our little craftsman home. While the bathroom certainly left a little to be desired, it wasn't a deal-breaker by any means. There were some good things about it:

The tile had been (thankfully) painted white over the original mint green.
The built-in vanity is vintage-sweet.
The window lets in a lot of sunlight.
The original tub and sink could be a lot worse.

Even with its charm I knew that it needed some sprucing up. Instead of spending the money for a total makeover, I decided little inexpensive updgrades would do the trick. As soon as we moved in I painted it a charcoal gray that I knew I would love for many years to come. Then little by little I began replacing small things like the toilet, light fixtures, and cabinet hardware. In recent weeks I finally found a shower curtain (after the first three didn't work out), rug, and other accessories that I can live with long-term. I even touched up paint on the window and cabinets. Amazingly, I think I have finished. Instead of looking around at what all I need to fix, I'm admiring our small bathroom and suddenly thinking double sinks are probably overrated. Ok maybe not. But for now I'll stop wanting the comforts of a brand new bathroom and be content with what I have.

1 comment: