Jun 27, 2014

Baby to Big Boy

This week Rowe moved out of his crib and into his "big boy bed." This is something we had been working on doing for a while, but Rowe always slept so good in his crib, so I just kept putting it off. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Am I right?

But I kept feeling like it was time. So the other night, we did it. We broke down his sweet little Jenny Lind crib, and put in its place an actual twin-size bed. He was beyond excited about this, which was cute. I had no idea how this little milestone would elicit such emotion from me. I was not prepared. But it did. I shed a few tears for that crib, and for the chapter of my life that went out the door with it. Putting Rowe in his big bed was much more significant than just a new place to sleep and an updated room. It signified the passage from baby to big boy, and it now seems so official.

There are so many milestones that we anticipate as parents: first smile, first steps, one year, and so on. Moving to a big boy bed was not on my list of highly anticipated events. But it prompted me to reflect on how quickly the time passes, and on how rewarding and, at the same time, difficult it is to watch your children grow up before your eyes. I've been warned over and over about this: "They grow up so fast; enjoy it!" I'm trying to. I really am.

Rowe's nursery in our first house (2011).

Last photo of Rowe's room (in current house) before we said bye to the crib (excuse the mess). 
Taking it down. 
The new bed (room still in progress)


We still have a long way to go before it's finished, but alas, the big boy era has begun. 


No comments:

Post a Comment